AA Thornton is a thriving and progressive firm of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys with offices in Central London. Our patent practice has been identified as one of the best in London, in Legal 500 ranking for the past 3 years. We pride ourselves on our high standards of professional service and our focus on each client’s particular business needs. We have very positive working relationships throughout the firm with a supportive learning environment.
We (A. A. Thornton) are currently searching for a reliable and well-organised Reception/Office Services Administrator to join us for a summer work placement/internship as soon as possible. This temporary role has been developed due to a recent re-organisation of our reception/administration support. We anticipate the role holder being able to help us understand what permanent reception/business admin support we may need, and is therefore an ideal opportunity for someone looking to gain some work experience within a professional services/intellectual property (IP) office environment, to utilise/practice their administrative and customer service skills and help inform us what is needed for the business in the medium/long term.
We expect this placement to cover the Summer 2018 period – approximately mid/end June – September 2018.
Please apply by email with your CV and a covering letter explaining how your skills and experience match the role description, to Jill Bartley, Executive Assistant – HR/People. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Jill.
Purpose of Role
- To provide an efficient and professional service to the firm, including the following key responsibilities:
- Provide a high quality service reception service to the business as the first point of call for visitors and clients to AAT
- Day to day co-ordination of office services in conjunction with the Marketing/Business Services Executive
- To provide administrative support to the Business Services departments, as required
- Meet and greet visitors to the firm; ensure the proactive monitoring of the firms calendar to ensure a high quality service is provided, visitors know they are expected and are attended to efficiently upon arrival
- Ensure the reception area is tidy and free of clutter
- Support the Marketing/Business Services Executive in ensuring the safety and security of visitors, informing them of facilities and safety procedures and ensuring sign in and sign out procedures are adhered to
- Co-ordinate visitor and staff access – issuing of lanyards, swipe cards and dealing with leavers and temporary staff/contracts
- Co-ordinate reception cover in conjunction with the Marketing/Business Services Executive to manage annual leave/absence to ensure cover at all times
- Sign for all courier deliveries received and distribute deliveries promptly
- Distribution of internal correspondence
- Ensure the post room area is tidy and free from clutter at all times
- Ensure stationery for the firm is replenished using the firm’s preferred stationery providers
- Oversee the emptying of the confidential waste bins and arrangement of collection of sacks for secure destruction by our confidential waste provider
- Deliver confidential documents to nearby courts on behalf of the litigation team
- Document production – photocopying and/or liaising with outsourced printing companies, as instructed
- Other ad hoc duties as required
- Pro-active co-ordination of the meeting room/hot office diaries/use
- Pro-actively ensure the meeting rooms are ready for use by internal staff and clients at all times, including setting up equipment, requested room layouts and IT equipment (liaising with IT services as required)
- Co-ordinate catering requests with the Catering Services Assistant and pro-actively monitoring the diary for e.g. external visitors/clients to ensure last minute requests are reduced to a minimum
- Support and assist the Catering Services Assistant for large events or in her absence.
- Checking office services email account for day to day office services queries and actioning in line with the firms procedures
- Office checks and taking action when needed (general health and safety / tidiness daily / kitchen provisions)
- Contacting contractors in line with service requirements
- Health and Safety related tasks, e.g. logging of information, sending reminders, organising training events
- Fire Warden allocation
- Co-ordination of fee earner Continuous Professional Development (CPD) agenda and lunch arrangements
- Document production, e.g. powerpoint slide presentations, standard letter production, maintain excel spreadsheets
- Book and co-ordinate diaries for meetings, interviews, training and other events as instructed to support business managers
- Filing and photocopying
- Administer tests to recruitment/interview candidates, as instructed
- Desk-based research for marketing events, contacts and potential clients
- Booking fee-earners onto events
- Helping with travel arrangements
Qualifications / Skills Required
- GCSEs (ideally at least 5 Grade C or above GCSEs; Grade B or above in at least Maths and English)
- Reception/administrative experience is not essential for the workplacement/internship but a willingness to learn, to work as part of team and maximise the opportunity on offer is essential
- Computer literate (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and Excel)
- Experience of Document Management Systems (eg. iManage) and/or aptitude to learn
- The aptitude to develop a detailed understanding of AAT’s internal procedures and adhere to them
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail is essential.
- The ability to multi-task and prioritise, coupled with the ability to maintain accuracy/attention to detail is essential.
- Managing/organising both self and others
Up to and including a minimum of Level B – Business Services CDF (this is an internal document provided upon joining the firm). In particular core competencies that essential to this role are:
- Good/clear communication skills (verbal and written)
- Willing and able to work effectively in a team, providing a flexible and pro-active approach to supporting the team
- Confidential, discrete, willing and helpful
- Pro-active, enthusiastic and demonstrates initiative
- Highly organised